11/17/2010

My Grandmother, Maurine "Rene" Robberson

She's always been very put together. Dressed to the nines, great jewels, hair done, and red lips on......and she could make a mean grilled cheese.  She had a fancy little condo where I would go visit her as a little girl and happily play with her collection of old toy cars and check out all of her beautiful rings and clothes.

For the last 7 years, she hasn't lived in that condo though.....she has lived with my Uncle Rick and Aunt Debbie who have worked so hard at taking loving care of her when old age and health issues set in. 

Unfortunately, the last few months have been an uphill battle with several health complications and the painful decision of needing to rely on nursing home care instead of the personal home care that Rick & Deb gave.
So, Marla and I went to visit her this past weekend in St. Louis.  It wasn't easy to see her in the state she's in now, but still very good to see her nonetheless.  She's still the same 'ol Rene when it comes to her quick whit and humor.  I'm very grateful for those things.  While we were there on Saturday afternoon, she couldn't find her lipstick that she swore she had just had, so on Sunday when we returned, I brought her a new one.  A nice bright pink'ish red.....just the kind she likes and wears so well.  She was so excited to get it and put it on.  Even with frail and shaky hands, she put it on like an expert.  The image she saw in the mirror for the first time in a few weeks wasn't quite what she liked to see, but at least those red lips gave her some pizazz for the day.  Most likely, last Sunday was the last time I'll see her alive, but luckily we were able to capture a few photos that will last us a lifetime. 

I love you Grandma Rene....





2 comments:

  1. Oh Heath....I LOVE these pictures and you will be EVER soooo thankful to have these lasting memories caught on camera! She's still the beautiful Rene that I remember....even though it's been years since I've seen her. I SOOOO love the ones of your dad and her too....precious, absolutely precious. REALLY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one of her & your Dad is absolutely priceless! So much emotion in that picture. I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete